Let’s face it … we’re not getting any younger. And at some point, the time will come for a generation of Baby Boomers to sell their homes. While these homes have served us greatly for many years — perhaps many decades — will they appeal to today’s young, tech-savvy consumers?
In 2018, 43 percent of home buyers were millennials in their twenties and thirties. Currently, they are the largest purchasing group in the country. Will your home, in its present state, appeal to a younger generation?
Following are some tips that will help make your home more appealing to today’s young home buyers:
- As the seller, have your home pre-inspected to determine what must be done before putting the house on the market.
- Buy a home warranty, which will reassure buyers that they won’t be faced with major repair expenses during the first year of homeownership.
- Is your home decor a bit outdated? Offer a credit for repairs so buyers can put their personal touch on the property.
- Lighten and brighten by cleaning windows, updating light fixtures and applying a fresh coat of neutral paint.
- Create a list highlighting neighborhood amenities such as recreational facilities, shops, gyms, restaurants, etc.
- Eliminate clutter to give the house an open-flow feeling.
- Have access to a drone? Drone tours of property and neighborhood are hot selling tools.
- Add smart home features such as wireless security, smart bulbs, water sensors, smart locks, remote-controlled shades, etc.
For more information and tips for home sellers, please contact The Olear Team today!