Halloween may be over, but here’s a scary statistic for you: Did you know that one-third of seniors over the age of 65 suffer a fall each year, causing injury, disability, placement in nursing homes and even death?
Therefore, it’s very important that we remain vigilant in our attempt to maintain a safe household. Here are some tips to help keep your home free of falls!
• Do a room-by-room review to eliminate potential tripping hazards such as floor clutter and inadequate lighting.
• Add grab bars where needed, such as on steep staircases.
• Remove throw rugs that could result in slip and falls and run any extension cords behind furnishings.
• Paint the bottom stair a different color so that the last step is easier to see.
• If your home needs modifications that are beyond your area of expertise, contact your local senior center or Department of Senior Services and ask if they could recommend reputable and insured service providers to make the repairs for you.
Staying safe, upright and out of the hospital is always a good idea. And with a little preparation, you’ll greatly improve your odds of doing so!