If you’re a homeowner in New York State, have you registered for the STAR credit program? If not, you could be losing out on hundreds of dollars annually!
According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, the Basic and Enhanced STAR benefits program will save most New York homeowners hundreds of dollars. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings.
You should register for STAR if you:
• Bought your home after the 2015 STAR application deadline;
• Never applied for the STAR benefit on your primary residence; or
• Received a letter advising you to register for Basic STAR.
Note: You do not need to register for STAR if you are a longtime homeowner with an existing STAR exemption.
When you register for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will automatically review your application to determine whether you are eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR benefit amount. If you qualify for Enhanced STAR (or will qualify in the future), you do not need to register separately to receive the Enhanced benefit.
To complete online registration, you’ll need to:
• Provide the names and Social Security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses.
• Answer a few questions about the income and residency of the owners and their spouses.
• Provide the date the owners purchased the property and the name of the sellers.
• Print a copy of your confirmation page and note your confirmation number. You will need it for verification purposes if you contact the program again at a later date.
Note: You will be prompted to provide the property’s STAR code and parcel ID but they are not required to complete the registration.
For more information on the STAR credit program or to register, please visit https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/register-for-star-credit.htm.